The 50-Miler award is available as a decal or in either a cloth or leather patch. It is NOT worn on the uniform or sash, but may be attached to equipment, jackets, backpacks, patch vests, or blankets.

The primary objective of this program is to stimulate Scouts BSA and Venturing Scouts' interest in the ideals of the movement and to promote activity that will result in personal fitness, self-reliance, knowledge of wood lore, and a practical understanding of conservation.

Chartered unit participation is most desirable, however, provisional groups are eligible. This award does not apply if any other award is available for a trip.

50-Miler Award Requirements

The 50-Miler Award is presented to each qualifying individual for satisfactory participation in an approved trip. In order to qualify for the award, the group of which the individual is a member must fulfill all of the following advancement, conservation, leadership, and service requirements:


Make complete and satisfactory plans for the trip, including the possibilities of advancement.


Cover the route of not less than 50 consecutive miles; take a minimum of five consecutive days to complete the trip without the aid of motors for the qualification of the 50-mile distance. For example, in the case of water treks and the use of motors, qualification distances exclude manuvering in or out of slips or ports, safety/weather traverses, managing tidal currents, and accessing the open water. (In some areas pack animals may be used.) NOTE: Qualification for the 50-mile distance does not have to be continuous, provided the primary purpose objective is met.


During the time on the trail or waterway, complete a minimum of 10 hours each of group work on projects to improve the trail, springs, campsite, portage, or area. If, after checking with recognized authorities, it is not possible to complete 10 hours each of group work on the trail, a similar project may be done in the unit's home area. (There should be no unauthorized cutting of brush or timber.)


Unit or tour leader must then file a 50-Miler Award application with the local council service center.

The 50-Miler Program and Award Application