50-Miler Award
Scoutmaster Bucky - BSA 50 Miler AwardThe primary objective of this program is to stimulate Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturing Scouts interest in the ideals of the movement and to promote activity that will result in personal fitness, self-reliance, knowledge of wood lore, and a practical understanding of conservation.

Chartered unit participation is most desirable; however, provisional groups are eligible. This award does not apply if any other award is available for a trip.
50 Miler Award Application:    click here
50 Miler Award REQUIREMENTS source: Boy Scout Requirements: 2018 Edition
The 50-Miler Award is presented to each qualifying individual for satisfactory participation in an approved trip. In order to qualify for the award, the group of which the individual is a member must fulfill all of the following advancement, conservation, leadership, and service requirements:

1. Make complete and satisfactory plans for the trip, including the possibilities of advancement.


2. Cover the route of not less than 50 consecutive miles; take a minimum of five consecutive days to complete the trip without the aid of motors for the qualification of the 50-mile distance.  For example, in the case of water treks and the use of motors, qualification distances exclude manuvering in or out of slips or ports, safety/weather traverses, managing tidal currents, and accessing the open water. (In some areas pack animals may be used.)

NOTE: Qualification for the 50-mile distance does not have to be continuous, provided the primary purpose objective is met.


3. During the time on the trail or waterway, complete a minimum of 10 hours each of group work on projects to improve the trail, springs, campsite, portage, or area. If, after checking with recognized authorities, it is not possible to complete 10 hours each of group work on the trail, a similar project may be done in the unit's home area. (There should be no unauthorized cutting of brush or timber.)


4. Unit or tour leader must then file a 50-Miler Award application with the local council service center.


this page last reviewed / updated: November 2018